[API-users] extinct taxa in GBIF API

Dröge, Gabriele G.Droege at bgbm.org
Tue Feb 9 11:15:03 UTC 2021

Thanks Markus, that's really helpful!

Best,
Gabi

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Markus Döring [mailto:mdoering at gbif.org]
Gesendet: Montag, 8. Februar 2021 17:35
An: Dröge, Gabriele; api-users at lists.gbif.org
Betreff: Re: [API-users] extinct taxa in GBIF API

Hi Gabi,

The GBIF API follows the older TDWG model and uses species profile records to indicate extinct taxa, see
https://www.gbif.org/developer/species#nameUsages

In case of Amplibuteo concordatus this is:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/8522384/speciesProfiles

Be aware that in case we get multiple profiles for the same species the Backbone does not merge them and you could in theory get a list of contradicting profiles, i.e. one says extinct the other says it isn’t. But mostly they make sense :)

Markus