[API-users] Intermittent outages??

Marie Grosjean mgrosjean at gbif.org
Tue Nov 5 08:41:23 CET 2019

Hi William,

It seems that a lot of users have been querying the search API lately, which puts a strain on the GBIF backend (especially it comes to deep paging) and makes it slow for everyone.

The solution is to use the download API instead.
In  other words, use the occ_download()<https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/rgbif/versions/1.3.0/topics/occ_download> function instead of the occ_search()<https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/rgbif/versions/1.3.0/topics/occ_search> function.

Using the download API would also allow you to get all your species in one download making it more convenient for citations later on because you would have only one DOI to cite. This blogpost give an example of R code to generate a download of a long list of species: https://data-blog.gbif.org/post/downloading-long-species-lists-on-gbif/
I hope this helps!
Cheers
Marie