[API-users] Get image from species in Api

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Sat Jun 8 10:09:39 CET 2019

Hola Magdiel

I am afraid we don’t have this at the moment.

Delimiting by area art the moment means an occurrence search for records in Mexico, after which you can get the images.
E.g. the information you see on this page https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/gallery?country=MX
Which is: https://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?country=MX&media_type=StillImage&limit=300&offset=0

If you wish to access all of this you are best using the download API, or do a download in the website rather than paging over all records (it will be quicker and simpler).

If you just wanted the ground sharks in Mexico: https://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?country=MX&media_type=StillImage&orderKey=887
Or just the ground sharks worldwide: https://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?country=MX&media_type=StillImage&orderKey=887

Please be aware you can download a list of species for which we have occurrence in GBIF: https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/download?country=MX
See the Species List As CSV. You could for example download all species we have evidence of in Mexico, and then look at “worldwide” images for each species using the API above.

We do have some images on species objects as well, which you can see on this API
  http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/148403721/media
However, these could be at any location and are not used as prominently as the occurrence source images.

I hope this helps.

If you prefer to just ask GBIF Staff then helpdsek at gbif.org<mailto:helpdsek at gbif.org> is probably your best contact for the fastest reply.

Best wishes,
Tim