[API-users] Some geometry searches seem to not be working

Jan Legind jlegind at gbif.org
Thu May 31 14:26:44 CEST 2018

Hi Scott,

I know that we are using the left-hand rule to interpret polygons and the url you sent does not comply with this. The left-hand rule demands that when you travel along the polygon points, the area on the left-hand side of the direction you are travelling will be the inside of the shape. If you want a ring shape the inner polygon must comply with the right-hand rule.

This would be a nice feature to have for checking the validity of polygons. You can test the coordinate pairs here: http://geojsonlint.com/

Let me know if this helps.

Best,
Jan