[API-users] download url for GBIF Backbone Taxonomy?

Matthew Blissett mblissett at gbif.org
Fri Mar 16 16:07:27 CET 2018

Hi Dan,

I agree that the "last modified" date is confusing. At the moment, it
shows the last time the description or other dataset metadata was
changed. I've suggested we changed that:
https://github.com/gbif/portal-feedback/issues/1267

However, I'm confused about the links to the backbone ZIP files. As far
as I can see, they end up at the same URL.

The link under "Download" at the top, and the link by "Endpoint" at the
bottom, is http://rs.gbif.org/datasets/backbone/backbone-current.zip in
both cases.

That is the same as the link to backbone-current.zip in
http://rs.gbif.org/datasets/backbone/

Either

   curl -O http://rs.gbif.org/datasets/backbone/backbone-current.zip

or

   wget http://rs.gbif.org/datasets/backbone/backbone-current.zip

is what I'd expect to use on the command line.

The server hosting rs.gbif.org has a 1Gb/s internet connection
(=125MB/s), and GBIF overall has a 10Gb/s connection into the European
academic backbone network. You should be able to download
http://rs.gbif.org/datasets/backbone/backbone-current.zip in 8-12
seconds from North America.

Cheers,

Matt Blissett