[API-users] How to query genus names with the GBIF API

Szlamka József szlajozs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 08:36:39 CEST 2017

Dear Scott,

Many thanks for your answer. I also added the "&highertaxonKey=6" param
to narrow the results for plant genera only.

To be more precise what I exactly wish to achieve is as follows:

1./
I only want to search within the "Plantae" kingdom.

2./
Say, I look for the GENUS name "Adonis" but I only remember that the
name starts with "Ado".

3./
So my ideal API call would run a wildcard search within PLANT GENERA
names for "Ado*" and would result in a list of ALL (without limit) plant
genera names starting with "Ado*".

I played with the "/species/match", "/species/search" and
"/species/suggest" sub-apis and with the "q" and "name" params. They
don't accept wildcards and don't give the expected results for name
chunks without wildcards.

Now my only hope is that I left out some constellations or misused
something.

József