[API-users] Using GBIF api for a global insect family website

Kyle Copas kcopas at gbif.org
Wed Jun 14 07:16:48 CEST 2017

Bastiaan, you should definitely check out EOL, but just to be clear:

Your question about name validation stemmed from the thought that the new gallery view of the GBIF occurrence search (i.e. https://demo.gbif.org/occurrence/gallery?taxon_key=6920) was somehow harvesting unverified Flickr images, correct? That is not the case.

In fact, you can identify the source of all the datasets that contribute to the search result by filtering for Media type = images and viewing the dataset tab (https://demo.gbif.org/occurrence/datasets?media_type=StillImage&taxon_key=6920), .

Hope this helps.

Kyle