[API-users] Using GBIF api for a global insect family website

Bastiaan Wakkie bwakkie at syrphidae.com
Sun Jun 11 10:13:04 CEST 2017

Hi Markus,

Thank you for the information!
I got the backbone and was fiddling around. Is SUBFAMILY, TRIBUS AND
GUBGENUS etc. left out on purpose? I presumed actually this was in de db
so created a recursive sql:

WITH RECURSIVE
fulltree(id,parent_key,is_synonym,level,rank,scientific_name,path) AS (
     SELECT id, parent_key, is_synonym, 1 as level,rank,
scientific_name, scientific_name||'' as path from backbone where
parent_key = 6920
UNION
     SELECT b.id, b.parent_key, b.is_synonym, ft.level+1 as
level,b.rank, b.scientific_name, ft.path||' / '||b.scientific_name as path
     from backbone b, fulltree ft where b.parent_key = ft.id
)
SELECT * from fulltree order by path

But as GENUS falls directly under FAMILY I received just an alphabetic
list. Am I doing something wrong here? I might just miss the db
concept... or is there a more detailed db which includes more ranks
between Family and Genus/Specie?

kind regards,

Bastiaan

On 05/31/2017 01:44 PM, Markus Döring wrote:
> Hi Bastiaan,
>
> the GBIF page for Syrphidae is
> http://www.gbif.org/species/6920
> or here in a preview of our upcoming new portal:
> https://demo.gbif.org/species/6920
>
> GBIF does not provide a software to setup your website, but you can
> surely use our API to build your own Syrphidae portal.
> The GBIF portals above both exclusively use our own API, so all the
> information is openly accessible to you:
> http://www.gbif.org/developer/species
>
> If you need help with the API please let us know what you try to achieve.
> This call for example lists all accepted genera in that family:
> http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/search?datasetKey=d7dddbf4-2cf0-4f39-9b2a-bb099caae36c&higherTaxonKey=6920&rank=GENUS&status=accepted&q=
>
> This lists children of the genus imosyrphus Bigot, 1882:
> http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/1534459/children
>
> ... or the family wth 10 records per page and an offset of 20:
> http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/6920/children?limit=10&offset=20
>
> The images you see on our upcoming portal are occurrence images which
> you can retrieve with such a call knowing the gbif taxon key (Syrphidae
> in this case):
> http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?mediaType=stillImage&taxonKey=6920
>

> Hope this helps and gives inspirations.
> You can also download the entire backbone if you want to:
> http://rs.gbif.org/datasets/backbone/readme.html
>
> We try to update it 3-4 times a year.
>
> Best,
> Markus
>

> --
> Markus Döring
> Software Developer
> Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)
> mdoering at gbif.org <mailto:mdoering at gbif.org>
> http://www.gbif.org
>

>> On 28. May 2017, at 20:03, Bastiaan Wakkie <bwakkie at syrphidae.com
>> <mailto:bwakkie at syrphidae.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>

>> From 1999 onwards I have created and maintained a insect family
>> website about Syrphidae ( http://www.syrphidae.com)
>>
>> Main goal is a centralised meeting point for Syrpidologists around the
>> world. My plan is to use the gbif backbone in the future but have no
>> idea where to start.
>>
>> Basically I used national checklists to update the data in the pastbut
>> never reached the whole world (Europe and Africa where partly done).
>> What is the best option for me? I know in the past there was the
>> gibf-npt which was very suitable for my case but was discontinued.
>>
>> Are there examples I can reusefor my purpose? Would it be best to use
>> only api calls all over my website ot receive speciedata and occurences?
>>

>> kind regards,
>>

>> Bastiaan Wakkie

Digital signature: https://wakkie.org/FA3DED4C.asc
fingerprint: 376B 6035 CD31 6437 A0FD  3165 C255 CD3D FA3D ED4C