[API-users] GBIF Occurrence Detail URLs

Bornhorst, Keith bornhorst at usf.edu
Tue Dec 12 16:14:24 CET 2017

Hello all,

My question concerns both the API and the GBIF website...

GBIF is aware of and ingests all of my specimen/occurrence data via a Darwin Core archive on our IPT instance. The information flow is one-way, however, so I don't know GBIF's internal, unique identifier (e.g. gbifID = 1503266467) which I need to know if I want to create a direct link to the occurrence page (e.g. https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/1503266467).

Using the API, I can obtain the gbifID via an API query such as http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?occurrenceId=urn:catalog:USF:Herb:261924 (the UUID we're currently using, soon to be replaced with a GUID) and I could batch process all of my occurrence records and store these ids (or do a real-time API lookup and redirect users).

And using the Advanced Search I can link to https://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search?occurrence_id=urn:catalog:USF:Herb:261924&advanced=1 and get the single record in the search result.

I'm curious to know if the GBIF website has any hidden (to me) auto-redirect capabilities that will send users to the matching occurrence page? Possibly a "redirectOnSingleResult=true" query string value that performs a redirect?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith Bornhorst  (bornhorst at usf.edu<mailto:bornhorst at usf.edu>)
Web Development Team Leader, USF Water Institute
School of Geosciences
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Ave, CHE 304, Tampa, FL 33620
Phone: (813) 974-7406

WaterInstitute.usf.edu<http://waterinstitute.usf.edu/> - WaterAtlas.org<http://wateratlas.usf.edu/> - PlantAtlas.org<http://plantatlas.usf.edu/> - TampaTreeMap.org<http://tampatreemap.usf.edu/> - ButterflyAtlas.org<http://butterflyatlas.usf.edu/>