[API-users] New Portal/Occurrece API functionalities

Steve Baskauf steve.baskauf at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jun 16 20:43:52 CEST 2016

I would also like to search by organismID

Peter (work) wrote:
> Yes, organismID. For tracking data.
>
> Op 15 jun. 2016 om 22:28 heeft Tim Robertson <trobertson at gbif.org
> <mailto:trobertson at gbif.org>> het volgende geschreven:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> We can add the protocol in the next iteration.  Any other fields you
>> have particular interest in?
>>
>> All the best,
>> Tim
>>

>> From: API-users <api-users-bounces at lists.gbif.org
>> <mailto:api-users-bounces at lists.gbif.org>> on behalf of godfoder
>> <godfoder at acis.ufl.edu <mailto:godfoder at acis.ufl.edu>>
>> Date: Wednesday 15 June 2016 at 22:05
>> To: "api-users at lists.gbif.org <mailto:api-users at lists.gbif.org>"
>> <api-users at lists.gbif.org <mailto:api-users at lists.gbif.org>>
>> Subject: Re: [API-users] New Portal/Occurrece API functionalities
>>
>> Awesome work guys, this make a number of data mining queries I used
>> to have to run much easier and accessible right from the API/Download
>> system.
>>
>> Any chance that the protocol field could be made searchable? Its
>> always frustrating when I can see fields in the API, but have no
>> ability to inspect their contents other that iteration. It's like the
>> data is locked away just out of reach.
>>
>> - Alex
>>
>> On 06/15/2016 09:44 AM, Federico Mendez wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear GBIFApiers, we are excited to announce some new features that
>>> are now supported by there GBIF Portal and Occurrence API:
>>>
>>>    1. Full text search is now supported. Some examples of this new
>>>       function are:
>>>           * Search by collector (recorded by):
>>>                 o http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?q=hobern
>>>                   <http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search?q=hobern>
>>>                 o http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?q=desmet
>>>           * Search by locality shows accurate results for most of
>>>             the cases:
>>>             http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?q=santa%20ana
>>>           * This service provides suggestions when a
>>>             ‘similar/corrected’ version of the query could show more
>>>             accurate
>>>             results: http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?q=kajsdkla&spellCheck=true
>>>             <http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?q=kajsdkla&spellCheck=true> .
>>>
>>>           * This functionality is also supported by the GBIF
>>>             portal: http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search?q=cobra
>>>             <http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search>
>>>    2. Faceted search
>>>          1. The GBIF portal now supports faceted navigation by:
>>>              /basis of record, type status, data set, country,
>>>              year /and/ month/. Please, see this
>>>             example: http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search?basis_of_record=FOSSIL_SPECIMEN .
>>>
>>>          2. The GBIF API supports faceted results
>>>              by: /basisOfRecord, catalogNumber, classKey,
>>>             collectionCode, country, datasetKey, decimalLatitude,
>>>             decimalLongitude, depth, elevation, establishmentMeans,
>>>             familyKey, genusKey, hasCoordinate, hasGeospatialIssue,
>>>             institutionCode, issue, kingdomKey, mediaType, month,
>>>             occurrenceID, orderKey, phylumKey, publishingCountry,
> [...]

Steven J. Baskauf, Ph.D., Senior Lecturer
Vanderbilt University Dept. of Biological Sciences

postal mail address:
PMB 351634
Nashville, TN  37235-1634,  U.S.A.

delivery address:
2125 Stevenson Center
1161 21st Ave., S.
Nashville, TN 37235

office: 2128 Stevenson Center
phone: (615) 343-4582,  fax: (615) 322-4942
If you fax, please phone or email so that I will know to look for it.
http://bioimages.vanderbilt.edu
http://vanderbilt.edu/trees