[API-users] typeSpecimens query for species is broken

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Fri Jul 22 14:32:10 CEST 2016

Hi Rod,

this is a known but apparently badly documented issue. See the list conversation with James we had before.
http://lists.gbif.org/pipermail/api-users/2014-December/000102.html

Basically we changed ChecklistBank to only deal with nominal types and leave the type specimens to the occurrence store.
This has some issues and API implications. We went live before we made the change, so the REST resource is now badly named. Also we lose some type specimen information that comes in through the types and specimen extension for checklists. We could consider to also index these into the occurrence store though in the future.

An example of a working nominal type species for a genus:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/100535465/
http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/100535465/typeSpecimens

Type specimens for your species:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?taxonKey=5231190&typeStatus=*