[API-users] NameUsageService.getRelated

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Sep 29 11:31:14 CEST 2015

Dear species API users,

we run into a serious performance problem with one of our API methods recently that does not support paging of results. It is the getRelated method here from the NameUsageService:
http://gbif.github.io/gbif-api/apidocs/org/gbif/api/service/checklistbank/NameUsageService.html#listRelated-int-java.util.Locale-java.util.UUID…-

For example: http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/5231190/related

We would very much like to make that a pageable request, change the result type to PagingResponse<NameUsage> and add a nullable Pageable page parameter to the signature.
We understand this is a breaking, not backwards compatible API change, but given that it can take down the entire species API we believe this warrants such a change without waiting for the next major API release (which won’t be this year for sure).

If this leads to serious problems for an existing API user please let us know.
Otherwise we would like to take this change live rather soon, probably sometime early next week.

Thanks,
Markus

--
Markus Döring