[API-users] funny characters in common names / vernaculars for species

Guido Sautter sautter at ipd.uka.de
Tue Nov 24 06:11:57 CET 2015

Hi Jorrit,
> Ok. Sounds like we are on the same page. What do you think would be the most
> effective way to document this content issue?
collecting a bunch of links to API responses that include mangled characters
looks like a good option to me.

Also, you might want to follow the links to the datasets and their providers,
and all the way back to the dataset source pages (some three links to follow or
so) and see if the mangled characters show up as well on the pages of the
original data providers.

If the latter is the case, it's likely the providers' responsibility to fix the
data. If not, there might be an issue along the transfer routes between the
original providers and GBIF.

Just a thought,
Guido