[API-users] 204 response

Scott Chamberlain myrmecocystus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:52:09 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I am curious as to the reasoning behind the 204 response for some API
requests. For example:

curl -v '
http://api.gbif.org/v1/dataset/3f8a1297-3259-4700-91fc-acc4170b27ce/metrics'

< HTTP/1.1 204 No Content
< Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:46:32 GMT
< Age: 0
< Via: 1.1 varnish
< Connection: keep-alive

I assume this means that that dataset ID is not found?  If so, I would have
expected a 404 perhaps.  There's no other info in the headers, so I'm not
sure what other reason there is for no data returned (I realize a 204
should not return a body). I know this dataset ID used to return data, as I
used it in examples for hitting the /dataset/*/metrics route

In other APIs I get a 204 on a successful DELETE request - that's the only
context I'm familiar with wrt 204's

Thanks! Scott