[API-users] Limit 1000 for /species endpoints?

Tim Robertson trobertson at gbif.org
Fri Oct 10 09:37:47 CEST 2014

Thanks Scott, confirmed

You can see the limit is capped (e.g. reset) to 1000 if you go above: http://api.gbif.org/v1/species/search?q=a&limit=1010

It should be added to docs as what is on http://www.gbif.org/developer/summary#common is not clear enough.

I’ve filed an issue http://dev.gbif.org/issues/browse/PF-1805 which will be picked up at some point.

In the meantime, I am afraid you will have to hit the services with a high limit, and see how it behaves, but you should code defensively in any iterating clients and read the actual limit used - this is how all the Java clients work.

Thinking aloud: It is also something that I could imagine might change over time, depending on observed infrastructure load.  You might find the docs simply become something like
“All services provide a ceiling on the Limit parameter, which is typically 100, 1000 or 10000 but is subject to change over time.  Application developers are required to code defensively, and read the actual limit used which is returned in each response to accurately page over resources.  A sensible default for all calls is 1000”.

I hope this helps,
Tim