[API-users] GBIF taxon page URLs by scientific name?

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Tue Jul 22 15:51:34 CEST 2014

Hi Yde,

the right way to retrieve records in checklist bank for a given taxonID as published by the source from some checklist is the following:

http://api.gbif.org/v1/species?datasetKey=90d9e8a6-0ce1-472d-b682-3451095dbc5a&sourceId=409106

The numerical GBIF resource ID has for quite some time been replaced by the GBIF registry UUID in all our API. The example above uses the Fauna Europaea dataset as it is registered with the id for Aagaardia sivertseni: http://www.faunaeur.org/full_results.php?id=409106

Please be aware that we have a rather old version of Fauna Europaea and if you intend to use our service with up to date data it would be great if you could publish Fauna Europaea on a regular basis as a dwc archive. We are happy to assist you in setting this up, ideally with an IPT.

Name based URLs are definitely interesting and we should think about adding them in the next API version. For now the searches are the only way to link.

best,
Markus