[API-users] Does typeSpecimens API work?

Markus Döring mdoering at gbif.org
Fri Dec 19 14:16:15 CET 2014

Dear James,

indeed we changed ChecklistBank earlier this year to not contain type specimen information anymore.
This call now only returns a type species or genus for higher taxa and ChecklistBank is restricted to only deal with names as you can see also in our model diagram:
https://github.com/gbif/checklistbank/blob/master/model.pdf?raw=true

Type specimen can be accessed through the regular occurrence API using the TypeStatus filter, in your case of Puma we list 34 specimens:
http://api.gbif.org/v1/occurrence/search?limit=100&taxonKey=2435098&typeStatus=*

I realize the API resource /typeSpecimens makes no sense anymore and should better be called /typification, but we prefer to stay with our existing API for the time being as this would be a breaking change.

It is also not trivial to make sense of the type specimen data as most of them do not mention the typifiedName and one can only assume this is the specimens currently accetped name.

I will update our API docs to document that change, thanks for letting us know!

Markus

--
Markus Döring
Software Developer