[Ala-portal] Hardware infrastructure

Nicolas Noé n.noe at biodiversity.be
Wed Aug 19 11:26:46 CEST 2015

Hi guys,

I'm still evaluating how to deploy an ALA instance for Belgium at the
end of this year and was interested in hearing your first hands
experience about the infrastructure you run the portal on.

I'm especially interested about the experience of countries like France
and Spain that did it recently and who have a volume of data of the same
order of magnitude as Belgium.

The documentation
(https://github.com/AtlasOfLivingAustralia/documentation/wiki/Essential-tools-and-environmental-requirements)
recommends the following server configuration:

- 100Gb SSD
- 32GB RAM
- 2x CPU

My questions are:

  * Were those requirements sufficient for you?
  * Did you deploy everything on a single server or did you use a more
    splitted infrastructure? If so, did you wrote your own ansible
    scripts to match your configuration?
  * Did you use physical servers? Or Amazon EC2 instances ? Or another
    cloud providers?
  * Is there anything you'd do differently if you had to do it again
    tomorrow?
  * Any other comments or remark?

Thanks a lot for your collaboration!

Nicolas