[Ala-portal] A little doubt about SOLR/JVM configuration

David.Martin at csiro.au David.Martin at csiro.au
Fri Oct 10 02:49:12 CEST 2014

Thanks Santi.

I've cc-ed the list as this is probably a common question. The memory allocation can be manipulated in the scripts [1].
On Debian (Ubuntu) machines this manipulates the config in this file:

/etc/default/tomcat7

and specifically the line:

JAVA_OPTS="-Xmx2g -Xms2g -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Xss256k"

For production systems, if you have the ability to use more than 1 machine, I would recommend setting up SOLR on a separate machine.
Theres a playbook for this here [2].

The biocache can point to a different SOLR server by changing the following property in /data/biocache/config/biocache-config.properties

# The URL of SOLR services. In the case of embedded SOLR (no for production), this could be a directory path instead
solr.home=http://localhost:8080/solr

Cheers

Dave Martin

[1] https://github.com/AtlasOfLivingAustralia/ala-install/blob/master/ansible/roles/tomcat/vars/main.yml