[Ala-portal] Issue to view occurrence images on the Hubs.

Daniel Lins daniel.lins at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:08:54 CEST 2014

Hi Dave,

After I updated the biocache-service to the version 1.1, I stopped viewing
the occurrence images in the hubs portal. All images urls were set to
http://biocache.ala.org.au/biocache-media.

e.g.

http://biocache.ala.org.au/biocache-media/dr0/20750/8fe44933-7970-4b3e-a2d8-da0350dca3bb/Chrysocyon.brachyurus__large.jpg

Maybe it's a issue, because in the biocache-service code
(tags/biocache-service-1.1/src/main/java/au/org/ala/biocache/dto/OccurrenceIndex.java)
the application is not checking the external configuration file. It is
looking to "/biocache.properties". This file does not exist in this folder,
thus the application always uses the default media url ("
http://biocache.ala.org.au/biocache-media/"), generating this error.

   public class OccurrenceIndex {

    public static String biocacheMediaUrl = "
http://biocache.ala.org.au/biocache-media/";
    public static String biocacheMediaDir = "/data/biocache-media/";
    protected static final Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(OccurrenceIndex.
class);

    static {
        //check the properties file for an override
        try {
            Properties p = new Properties();
                    p.load(OccurrenceIndex.class.getResourceAsStream(
"/biocache.properties"));
            //InputStream inStream =
Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader().getResourceAsStream("biocache.properties");
            //p.load(inStream);
            logger.debug("Retrieved biocacheMediaUrl: " + p.getProperty(
"biocacheMediaUrl"));
            logger.debug("Retrieved biocacheMediaDir: " + p.getProperty(
"biocacheMediaDir"));

            if(p.getProperty("biocacheMediaUrl") != null)
                biocacheMediaUrl = p.getProperty("biocacheMediaUrl");
            if(p.getProperty("biocacheMediaDir") != null)
                biocacheMediaDir = p.getProperty("biocacheMediaDir");
I changed this code to check first the property of the external
configuration file ("/data/biocache/config/biocache-config.properties") and
the visualization of images worked again.

Regards,
Daniel Lins da Silva
(Mobile) 55 11 96144-4050
Research Center on Biodiversity and Computing (Biocomp)
University of Sao Paulo, Brazil
daniellins at usp.br
daniel.lins at gmail.com