[Ala-portal] Putting images in the documentation

Burke Chih-Jen Ko [GBIF] bko at gbif.org
Fri Jul 25 05:36:44 CEST 2014

Hi all,

Just a note here for those who need to put an image to the wiki page. From the web interface, for now we can only add an image via an URL, but in most cases we want to include the image in the wiki repo.

To do this, you need to interact with the documentation.wiki.git repo[1] using git. And to be able to push changes later you'll need permission. So the first step is to express your interest by announcing your github account to the list.

Then after you clone the git repo, you will see an 'img' directory inside, where we store all documentation images. Put your image inside the directory.

Assuming the image name is solr-index-backup.png, adding the following line in markdown will render the image on the web page:

![Add Solr core](/AtlasOfLivingAustralia/documentation/wiki/img/solr-index-backup.png)

You can then view this page as an example:
https://github.com/AtlasOfLivingAustralia/documentation/wiki/System-administration

The text in the square bracket will be used for the 'alt' attribute in the html of the image.

Hope it helps,

Burke

[1] https://github.com/AtlasOfLivingAustralia/documentation.wiki.git