[Ala-portal] Name matching issues

Allan Koch allan.kv at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 14:33:35 CEST 2014

Hi guys,

I have two issues concerning taxon names. I will start with, probably, the
easier issue.

(1) We create the name matching index using a merged list from CoL and a
list of Brazilian species. But these names aren't used in the autocomplete
of searching page. We saw the call of AJAX and it's calling a service from
BIE (
http://bie.ala.org.au/search/auto.json?callback=jQuery183029955692077055573_1408751293018&q=podo&limit=100&timestamp=1408751307476&_=1408751307479).
The  autocomplete feature can be changed to call the names from Lucene name
matching index?

(2) When we ingest a dataset, the process try to match the names using some
techniques of fuzzy matching, is it right? But, for some names, this not
occured. For example, the name "Apis melifera" is matched with "Apis (Apis)
mellifera" (it an example that works well), but the name "Chrysocyon
brachycrus" should match with "Chrysocyon brachyurus", and it not happen.
Why the fuzzy matching is applied to some names and don't aplied to other
names?

Allan Koch Veiga

Núcleo de Pesquisa em Biodiversidade e Computação - BioComp
Laboratório de Automação Agrícola - LAA
Depto. de Engenharia de Computação e Sistemas Digitais - PCS
Engenharia Elétrica - Escola Politécnica da USP
Celular: +55 11 8401-2277
Email: allan.kv at usp.br

"*Stay hungry, stay foolish.*" Stewart Brand