[IPT] IPT v2 Snapshot frequency

"Markus Döring (GBIF)" mdoering at gbif.org
Fri Oct 15 14:37:45 CEST 2010

when setting up a data directory for the IPT a small file called "datadir.location" is created in the WEB-INF folder that points to the actual data dir.
If you simply remove this file you force the IPT to the setup page. You can enter an existing data dir if you want and all its configuration is loaded - or create a new, empty one.

For jetty when running "mvn" this file is kept with the source files. To remove it simply do:
$ cd gbif-ipt
$ rm src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/datadir.location

Markus

On Oct 15, 2010, at 14:12, Nicolas Noé wrote:

> One last question, when playing with it (without building the war, letting mvn launch jetty), how can I restore it to its original state (to lose all configurations and send me back on the first (select datat dir) page ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nicolas
>
> On 10/15/2010 12:07 PM, "Markus Döring (GBIF)" wrote:
>> Nicolas,
>> that is indeed a good idea. We will consider some regular build of the war, maybe even on a daily basis. I will upload a new version later today once the serious bugs are fixed that Ive introduced when refactoring the http/registry communication.
>>
>> If you ever want to try the latest trunk from the svn its rather simple if you have java, maven and svn installed (OSX comes with all of these):
>>
>> $ svn checkout http://gbif-providertoolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/gbif-ipt
>> $ cd gbif-ipt
>> $ mvn
>>
>> The last "mvn" command should start up the IPT with a local jetty instance on port 7001 and you can go into your browser of choice with this url:
>> http://localhost:7001/ipt
>>
>> If you want to build a war instead you need to issue a different maven command:
>>
>> $ mvn install
>>
>> and then you should find the war in this folder (example revision 2396):
>>
>> $ cp target/ipt-2.0-RC1-SNAPSHOT-r2396.war
>>

>> When you do the maven command for the very first time it will download quite a few libraries, so you need some patience at that point. But when done once it will be fairly fast afterwards, even if you update to the latest trunk again. That can be done like this by the way:
>>
>> $ cd gbif-ipt
>> $ svn up
>>
>> Markus
>>

>> On Oct 15, 2010, at 11:48, Nicolas Noé wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> With the current move to the v2 of the IPT and the very fast development of the last few weeks, I think it could be great to provide development snapshots (similar to the one Tim uploaded a few days ago) on a regular and very frequent basis.
>>>
>>> For example, I've reported a bug 2 days ago that is supposed to be fixed, and I'd like to re-test this and investigate deeper the IPT (hat bug make me stuck at the beginning), so I could follow the development day after day and provide immediate feedback to the development team. I think this transparency and rapid feedback mechanism is important if we want a very fast development rate and at the same time keep a good stability. It could also lead to a better communication between IPT developers and end users (for example to keep them aware of which features/bugs should be on the top-priority list).
>>>
>>> I see 3 ways to make these builds for "faster feedback" possible :
>>>
>>> 1) The GBIF manually creates "ipt-snapshot.war" on a regular basis (i.e. weekly)
>>> 2) Putting an automatic mechanism to create these builds, the frequence could so be increased (nightly builds).