[IPT] IPT setup on Ubuntu (8.10) with Tomcat 6

Tim Robertson (GBIF) trobertson at gbif.org
Wed Feb 25 22:23:14 CET 2009

Hi,

This looks like a security feature with Tomcat on Ubuntu.  I am not sure
if the policy file is created at startup with Ubuntu from the webapps
policy file or if it uses the catalina.policy... so I can't be 100%
specific, but will be able to point in the right direction.

Let's try the catalina policy first.

Please find /var/lib/tomcat5.5/conf/catalina.policy   (I think it is this
on your installation)

and add:

// IPT webapp permission
grant codebase "file:/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/ipt/-" {
        permission java.io.FilePermission
"/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/ipt/-", "read,write,delete";
        permission java.util.PropertyPermission "*", "read,write";
        permission java.util.logging.LoggingPermission  "control";
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "getClassLoader";
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "preferences";
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "shutdownHooks";
        permission java.lang.reflect.ReflectPermission
"suppressAccessChecks";
};
// Geoserver webapp permissions
grant codebase "file:/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/geoserver/-" {
        permission java.io.FilePermission
"/var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps/geoserver/data/-",
"read,write,delete";
        permission java.util.PropertyPermission "*", "read,write";
        permission java.util.logging.LoggingPermission  "control";
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "getClassLoader";
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "preferences";
        permission java.lang.RuntimePermission "shutdownHooks";
        permission java.lang.reflect.ReflectPermission
"suppressAccessChecks";
};

If the catalina.policy route does not work, then it could well be in
/etc/tomcat5.5/policy.d/04webapps.policy

Please always post the catalina.log in order to diagnose.

Hope this helps,

Tim

trobertson at gbif.org
Phone: +45 35 32 14 87 (Office)