[Hit] Introductory message

Kyle Braak (GBIF) kbraak at gbif.org
Mon Dec 7 14:57:27 CET 2009

Dear Harvesting and Indexing Toolkit (HIT) mailing list,

Please consider this message an introductory one, providing you with
some basic information about the HIT, and making a call for wider
testing and evaluation.  Similar messages will be sent out
periodically, to update everybody on the status of the project and
provide other relevant news.

Of course, several of the people that will read this message are
already actively a part of the project in some way. To those people,
I'd like to say that I'm really happy to have you onboard.

For those who aren't aware of what the HIT is, however, it is an open
source Java-based web application developed by the Secretariat of the
GBIF (http://www.gbif.org/) to manage biodiversity data harvesting and
quickly build indexes of harvested data. The HIT is capable of
harvesting data from data publishers exposing their data through three
protocols: Distributed Generic Information Retrieval (DiGIR),
Biological Collection Access Service (BioCASe), and TDWG Access
Protocol for Information Retrieval (TAPIR). It can also harvest data
directly from a single export, created in accordance with the new
Darwin Core terms as a dump in Archive format. By accessing various
data publishers through a single tool, the HIT provides a convenient
mechanism to manage indexing operations.  Ultimately, it could allow
for the building of a portal on top of the database, which would then
provide an additional means of accessing the data by the community.

Currently the HIT is in a pre release-candidate ("early-bird") version
(0.9). You can view a roadmap of the project with its future
milestones here: http://code.google.com/p/gbif-indexingtoolkit/wiki/Roadmap

At this stage, if you haven't had the chance to play with the tool, I
invite you to install it on your local machine or server and give it a
try. The installation instructions are relatively straightforward, and
can be found here: http://code.google.com/p/gbif-indexingtoolkit/wiki/Installation
  To assist with learning how to operate it, there is a first version
of a user manual that has been developed, found here: http://code.google.com/p/gbif-indexingtoolkit/wiki/UserManual

For more general information on the project, you could visit the
project's home site here: http://code.google.com/p/gbif-indexingtoolkit/

To highlight any enhancement requests or errors arising during use,
you could fill in a new issue here: http://code.google.com/p/gbif-indexingtoolkit/issues/list
  and we'll try to take it into consideration as quickly as possible.

In other cases, you could direct questions to this mailing list or
certainly contact me directly at kbraak at gbif.org. I insist that any
feedback at all you have is welcome, in an effort to make the project
as robust as possible.

Thank you for your attention and assistance,

Kyle Braak
Programmer
Global Biodiversity Information Facility Secretariat
Universitetsparken 15, DK-2100 Copenhagen, Denmark
Tel: +45-35321479 Fax: +45-35321480